Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I ka donkili ka di an ye

I Ka donkili ka di an ye:
"Lord I long to sing your praises."

Two days ago I was sitting once again in Patte d'Oie church, unable to understand a word of the sermon, more or less hear a single thing anyone was saying. I came prepared to tune out and dive into a little reading I needed to catch up on.

But when it started, it was all I could do to hold back tears, the sound of the guy banging on the make-shift djembe, the smiles of the women as they danced around in circles, hands lifted to the Lord, indistinguishable yet perfectly in rhythm they clapped, and sang, and danced. I was surrounded in diverse languages, engulfed in praise, and drowning in joy. It was a worship service I had so easily forgotten, so quickly become accustomed to and was completely blown away by. If ever there was a glimpse of heaven, this was it.

I was once again, powerfully, reminded of the diversity of our God, the beauty of praise, and the freedom that is found in Him. There was no restraint when it came to praise, no hesitation in belting out the depths of their souls, and no fear of a on-lookers pressure. It was pure, holy, alive, and unrestrained.

I needed this moment, one the Lord knew all too well, to once again cherish the place I am in, to wake up to the reality of this dream and to re-capture my heart in a moment that it had felt so far gone. We serve an almighty, all knowing, all powerful, and all loving God, who is worshipped by the nations, in every language, and tonuge, by every means; dance, song, and the clapping of hands. Oh and what an honor it is to be caught in the middle of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment