Sunday, October 4, 2009

Misconceptions

I often find that many people think my life here is quite extreneous, adventerous, or completely out there so I thought I would take short post to clear the air on some common misconceptions.

1.) I do not live in a mud hut.
-in fact I live in a very nice house, with a bed, a fridge, a washing machine, and a fan. (granted some people in this house of a.c. I do not, it as if I sleep everynight on heating blanket, as well as in a sauna.

2.) I do not eat african food everyday.
-in fact I rarely eat african food, rice or to with sauce is served everywhere and I would rather treat it as a treat than an everyday occurrence ;-) I do however love, passionately, going to the market to pick up my fresh fruits, veggies, and herbs. I have become quit the 'Rachel Ray', the things Africa forces you to do.

3.) Not all africans like white people.
-in fact they tell alot of the children that white people will eat them so I often find myself going over to a child only to watch them run away screaming as the mothers all stand around and laugh.

4.) Being a white person does not always give you advantages.
-in fact, I often find myself being taken advantage of when shopping. The other day I went to the largest market in Ouaga with my Burkinabe friend Debora and she asked the price for a necklace she thought was nice, he said 'for you 500cfa but for her 3,000 cfa. Obviously being a white person gives very little help in situations like this.

5.) Not everyday life in Africa is an Adventure.
-in fact I often find myself wondering what to do with the rest of my afternoon.

6.) I do not always feel clean or comfortable.
-in fact the only feeling good (physically) I do is covered in sweat, I cannot walk from the shower to my room (5 ft.) without being covered in sweat once again.

7.) I am NOT fluent in french.
-in fact I face days where I wonder if I ever even took a french class.


So there are just a few of the realities of life here, everyday indeed has a gift of it's own and everyday I find myself falling more and more in love with this place, everyday it becomes more and more of 'home' to me but the realities of life don't just leave because you move to another country, and that is a lesson I have been figuring out since the moment I stepped on this soil.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Thanks for sharing, Jess. I love that you're getting to experience "real-life missions" - as opposed to the fast pace and excitement of a short-term mission trip. I love you friend. Keep posting. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete