Saturday, July 4, 2009

Compassion Day

Thursdays in Burkina are Compassion day.

This little girl is writing a letter to her sponsor.

There are 5 people on the team who sponsor compassion children in Burkina, so they brought them all to us at the central church. 2 years ago I met my little girl for the first time, her name is Claudine. She is now 11 years old and when I saw her again she ran to me with arms wide open and gave the me the most heartfelt hug I could ever imagine. It was a glorious moment to know that God divinely orchestrated and placed her in my life.

For the next few hours we sat in on classes and the class Claudine and I were in asked every child to draw their favorite animal, these are claudine and I's drawings. Mine was orginally an elephant and then a giraffe and then a flamingo which just turned into a bird. I am pretty sure hers is a crocidile.

They had a recess so we all went out to play games with the children, their favorite games are to copy the white people.

Claudine had never tried an apple before and we had bought some to send home with our girls, so this was her ver first bite of an apple.

Compassion also gave us all a bottle of soda which was a very special treat for all of our children.
When I told her we were leaving she immeditely lost the smile on her face. I could see the sadness in her eyes, it broke my heart. I asked abby to come over and translate that I would be back to see her soon, she got so excited and joy filled her again.

Compassion is an incredible ministry that is saving the lives of children and giving them hope for a future. To find out more about compassion go to www.compassion.com

2 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    Thanks for blogging so we can learn of other's needs and cultivate a thankful and prayerful heart.

    My name is Linda, and I'm one of Ben lackey's (many) aunts! Your site is such a blessing, because it honours the Lord, and presents the needs of others from such a personal & beautiful vantage point.

    I love the photos of your compassion child enjoying her first apple! How sweet! and how spoiled we are in the west!

    We've had compassion children for many years but I've never visited them. Perhaps the Lord is tugging at my heart to do so.. we've been invited to Guatamala to visit our compassion 'son', Dorian. and perhaps we should! I'm such a lame correspondant, so I almost wonder if he'd prefer me NOT to visit! hah!

    Thank you again! I'm going to post your blog on my blogroll, and pray that many others check it out, pray, and be inspired to serve the Lord while it is still called Today! In Him, Linda

    ReplyDelete