Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Je Veux


Yesterday Virginie took me to the market for our hour of french conversation. When I say market I mean vendor after vendor or woman after woman seeling the exact same produce as the one before her. Everything is covered in flies and the price is always marked up if you are white. If I had sent virginie on her own she probably would have bought the same amount for half of what I paid, not that these items are very expensive. It was quite the experience going and speaking almost only french. (Virginie is very good at english but also a very good teacher of french). At the market I bought a pineapple, ananas which was about 300 cfa, less than a dollar. Bananas, banan which were about 200 cfa about .40 cents. Potatoes, pomme de terre (which literally translates apples of the ground),which were about 600 cfa a kilo so about 1.20 a lb. Mango, mang,which is about 100 cfa, about .20 cents and peanuts for which i do not remember the french name nor the price.

1 comment:

  1. You are so brave, my friend. Love hearing about all your adventures!

    ReplyDelete